Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tastes Like Chicken


If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....is it a duck? What if its something else? What if it's Maxwell Smart's shoe phone? Or something else in disguise? Remember not everything is as it seems.

One night a few weeks ago.....or was it months.....I was watching an episode of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. It's patterned after the books and is a very cute show to watch if you ever have the chance. Anyhow, the office was broken into and the thief had taken the Banana Stapler. I thought, “Gee, I'd like a banana stapler.” But then I thought some more.....why would I want something that looks like something else? I mean, what if I got hungry and gnawed on my stapler? Seriously, why would I have the need for an item that looks like another thing?

~ A donut by any other name would taste just as sweet. ~

In the mail today, I received an advert from McDonald's. It was showing the new Rolo flavored iced coffee. I said, “Wow, I wanna try that!” But I gave it a second thought – Why not just eat a Rolo? - I mean, the small coffee advertised said it was 120 calories. How many Rolo's could one eat for 120 calories? According to Google.....yes, I Googled.....there are 27 calories in one single Rolo. So you could eat 4.5 Rolo's. Huh. I admit that if I.....ahem, not me [as my health coach would be out to get me], but rather a hypothetical human bean were craving both a cup of Joe and a Rolo at the same time that person might be willing to fork over a Toonie for the said luscious drink.

~ Your chocolate landed in my peanut butter! ~

Or was it the other way around? Missed it by THAT much! Anyway, someone somewhere obviously thought the world needed that combo. And, I thank them. But what about pizza flavored Cheeto's, chicken flavored potato chips or chocolaty cocoa puffs? If we really wanted pizza, chicken or chocolate.....why don't we just eat it? Why does other food come disguised as the things we really want?
Because we've fooled ourselves into thinking its healthier. They are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Worse yet, what's happened is our taste buds have gotten so accustomed to eating these mock foods that we've forgotten what the real thing tastes like. We have Taste Bud KAOS. In some cases, that's a good thing. I used to crave chocolate badly. I yearned to forget what it tasted like. I've worked hard to remove it from my voCADBURY.

Okay, so I did think that nanner stapler was pretty cute. AND, I did find a totally awesome donut USB drive on the interweb. Once upon a time I did have a notepad that looked like a sandwich. Is it a desk or a buffet table? We're not sure. 

Quack.....quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment