Friday, August 31, 2012

Adventures in Dining

At the beginning of August I googled Saskatoon looking for some different restaurants to take Hubby for his birthday.  I found an excellent blog called Wonderlust and Words.  I found the name of two places to visit.  The Mardi Gras Grill and The Hollows.  Well that weekend of my Hubby's birthday was a long weekend and our timing was poor and it turned out that neither establishment was open.

Phooey.

We've driven by Mardi Gras Grill several times since then.  We've been checking to see if the parking lot is full.  But we somehow never found the time to stop.

Hubby took the day off work today.  He went out and about and attended to yard work while I did some chores inside.  Then around 3:30 pm I went outside and posed the question:  What do you want for supper OR would you like to go out for supper?  Out it was and off to Mardi Gras Grill we went.

It's located downtown on a busy street but the paid parking is ample.  It is housed in a building that was formerly a sports bar.  The outside has been painted and I'm sure the inside was renovated as well.  There are three photo paintings adorning the walls.  I over heard the waitress telling another patron that her aunt took the photo's in New Orleans but didn't like how they turned out so she painted pictures over them.  Genius!  They are the prefect decor.

There are both booths and tables with chairs as well as an outside patio.  There weren't many people there even though it was soon the supper rush.  We were brought a complimentary plate of corn bread.  I've had corn bread many times before and even made it myself but it never turned out like this!  It appeared and tasted like it was baked, then squared, then toasted or grilled.  It was tasty!


For an appetizer we ordered Fried Green Tomatoes.  Ever since the movie, it's something I've wanted to try.  "For Towanda!!!!!"  They were served with 4 giant shrimp, 6 slices of tomato and salad greens with a sauce.  Hubby ate the shrimp as they aren't my favourite.  I did love the tomatoes.  I would order that appetizer for a lunch as well.  It was great.

Hubby's meal was called Taste of New Orleans and consisted of Gumbo, Jambalaya and Etouffee.  He was given instructions on how to eat the craw fish.  This meal was enough to feed two people!  Hubby tried hard but couldn't quite finish everything.  Not totally being a seafood fan, I ordered the Pulled Pork Po' Boy with fries.  It was the most extraordinary sandwich I've ever had!  I ate the sandwich but couldn't finish the fries which were undoubtedly home made since they didn't resemble anything out of my freezer.


We were stuffed.  The waitress, who I found out is the wife of the chef asked if we wanted beignets.  I asked if we could get them to go.  She said yes.  So they were given to us hot but we were advised to keep the package open or they'd shrivel up.  The donut type dessert had powdered sugar and a dollop of blueberry preserve.  It's our midnight snack tonight.

It was delicious cajun creole cuisine just as promised and just what Saskatoon has been missing.

12 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. That sounds delish! *drools*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing good.

      There used to be a place called Crawdaddies here. It was our favourite restaurant. We'd always get Gumbo and I loved the blackened chicken with bourbon mashed potatoes. Then something happened and they closed. That was the end of Cajun in Saskatoon. We were beyond thrilled with this new place. It's also in a part of the city that is showing rejuvenation. I know we will be back several times over.

      Delete
  2. What on earth is Gumbo???? and that desert looks soooooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gumbo is a stew or soup that probably originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. It typically consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and seasoning vegetables, which can include celery, bell peppers, and onions (a trio known in Cajun cuisine as the "holy trinity").

      I hope those beignets are yummy! I'm still too full to eat them....oh but the smell is heavenly!

      Delete
  3. Love New Orleans food. Do they have oysters, or red beans and rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have oysters. I didn't see red beans and rice on the menu but they might have and I just didn't see it. They also have gator bites but I wasn't adventurous enough to try them!

      I think their menu might be online if you google the restaurant.

      Delete
  4. *smile* Pulled pork__you and Matt could share that meal__it's one of his favs. He makes it here. :) Cajun cooking is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was amazing. I've had pulled pork before but never like this. Even the pulled pork slider I had in New York @ This Little Piggy wasn't like this one.

      We used to have a cajun place and it was our favourite place to eat. They closed several years ago and there hasn't been anything like it since. This place even has gater bites on the menu!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good trip out. Enjoy the dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beignets were tasty! I wish there had been a little more blueberry to smear on them.

      Delete
  6. Fresh, hot beignets with coffee are one of my favorite ... breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were too full to eat them when they were piping hot and we probably waited too long to eat them. I really enjoyed them, but I'm not sure if they were Hubby's thing. They also had a banana dessert which I'd love to go back for.

      Delete