Tuesday, August 7, 2012

He Danced Into My Life

When I say Hubby danced into my life, most people laugh, but its not entirely meant as a joke. It is the truth. The night was meant to be a girls night out. Myself, my friend Barb who was visiting from Edmonton and another close friend, Jane, who was freshly broken up were going out to just have some fun. It is an important fact that I was only 18 at the time and the legal drinking age was 19. Its also important that the place we were going was known for letting in underage people.....yet I wouldn't really know about that until years later. I had borrowed Barb's old driver's license in case I was i.d.'d. In those days they didn't require pictures. If they had, Hubby and I probably would never had met.
 
There was a live band playing that night. The name escapes me now but they were pretty good from what I remember. We sat and had drinks. It wasn't too long before a guy came over to the table. He had the bluest eyes I've ever seen and I was mesmerized. I had no idea he was talking to me. This was not Hubby. Barb grabbed his arm and dragged him off to the dance floor. I shrugged and went back to my drink. Pretty soon another guy was at our table and he was talking to me and I did accept to dance with him. This was Hubby. His dancing style was 'unique' but it didn't matter because the night was all about having a good time. What I distinctly remember about him, besides the dancing, was that when a dance was over he'd put his hand on my back to urge me back to our seats. It sent shock waves through me every time.

The evening ended with me driving all my friends home. The 'guys' didn't have a ride so of course I offered. We discovered they all boarded at the Bible College and were sneaking back in after curfew. We all exchanged numbers which Barb got all confused.....she wasn't good with names and we parted ways.

That was that.

It was a few weeks later and long after Barb had gone home that Jane and I were driving around one night. There wasn't a whole lot to do. We were driving down a particular street when Jane said 'Isn't that the guy from the bar?' And when I looked in my rear view mirror.....it most certainly was. He was walking very fast. I made a U-turn and headed toward the park where Future Hubby was taking a short cut.

If you ask him he will tell you I just appeared before him.

I actually pretty much chased him through the park on foot and cut him off at the pass.
I asked him where he was going and he said the 7-11 to return a movie and grab a coffee. So I offered a ride. Jane and I waited in the car until he returned. When he came out he did not have a coffee. That always struck me as funny. When I returned him to the College we again exchanged numbers and may have made plans to see each other again. That part is foggy, but I do know that we began seeing each other casually for coffee or movies until we really were dating.

Our very first official date was supper at an Italian restaurant followed by the movie Dances with Wolves.

I had no idea what my feelings really were for him. One night Jane said to me “are you kidding? You should see the way he looks at you.” What I knew was that he listened to me. He looked me in the eye. He opened doors for me and treated me the way my father always told me a 'real' guy would treat me.

A year and a half later we were engaged. He proposed to me in his hometown church, after he had asked my father for his permission,  where he said the following: This is where I asked God into my life and now, I'm asking you into my life. We were married a week before Christmas 1992.

Our lives have not always been perfect but our love has been constant. Without Hubby I would have never seen the ocean, learned the game of football or moved from my home town. He's made me more adventurous and constantly reminds me how to live life to the fullest. 
 
Hubby may not sparkle but he knows how to make my life twinkle and I feel truly blessed that he danced into my life.

2 comments:

  1. Awww ... that was sweet. I laughed when you said you practically chased him through the park *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did chase him! He says I just appeared out of no where but I had ran around and came up in front of him. Thank goodness that wasn't a big park LOL

      I like that picture of us too. It was about 50 pounds back for both of us. Oh well. It is what it is. And Grandpa Johnson took the photo with my camera. He was eager to try out a new fangled digital camera. He's 96 and a lovely man.

      Delete