Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Hood is a Changin'


When I first moved to Toon Town, I gave my neighbours nicknames because I didn't know their real names.  I had hopes that we'd be the kind of block that got together for parties and sat out on the lawn and had coffee and were friends.  None of that happened in the way I wished it would.  There was Neighbour Fred, The Rider Fans & Nice Neighbour.  I even blogged about them in another blog life.

Not all the original families are here.  Corrine was my immediate neighbour but moved away before we lived here a year.  There's been 3 families since Corrine.  Joel and Josie are the best next door neighbours we've ever had.  They do have parties and they do invite us.  Sometimes we go and sometimes we don't, but we always say hello and share our gardening tips over the fence.

Nice Neighbour is exactly what his name describes.  He's nice.  When he's outside working he'll wave.  He walks his little white dog and stops and talks.  He's told us he appreciates us as good neighbours.  He's chatted about our new fence and he's even said "Pop in for coffee, Dorothy and I would like it."  Dorothy!  That's the name of his wife!  Ten years later, I have no idea what Nice Neighbour's name is, but I always chat with him and I always wave back.

Next to Nice Neighbour is a new family.  I think they are Filipino and that's just fine.  There are little kids who ride bikes and play outside.  It's nice to see kids in the neighbourhood again.  There haven't been any for a long time.  So far, this family doesn't have a nickname.

Directly across from our house are The Rider Fans.  I called them that before I knew I was one as well.  They are better described as Tim Horton addicts though.  Whenever they leave, they always ALWAYS return with coffee from Timmies.  Yes, they still dress in green on game day, their little kids are clad now too, and so are we.

Next we have Neighbour Fred.  Hubby calls him Meticulous Neighbour because he is forever cutting his lawn or weeding or watering.  They've done a lot of work on their house.  Since we've lived here they've done a new gate, new driveway, and resided the house.  I'm sure there were renovations inside as well.....we just can't see them.  I've talked to Neighbour Fred up close a few times.  They've always been good and looked out for the well being of all in the hood.  I am thankful for that.

This spring Hubby was at work and was taking the elevator when a lady introduced herself as Cindy.  Here it turns out she is Neighbour Fred's wife.  Hubby had been working in the same building for 2 years in different departments.

When we first moved here their teenage boys would practise their skate boarding out on the sidewalk.  Brandy would bark at them. Then we watched them move away.  Now they return with little kids of their own.  It's the evolution of the neighbourhood  I suppose.

This evening I looked out the living room window.  There is a newly planted For Sale sign on the lawn at Neighbour Fred and Cindy's. 

It's sad to see a good neighbour go.  But on the up side, someone new will move in.  Maybe they'll be the sit on the stoop and visit type.  I'm hoping. 




14 comments:

  1. *leaves coffee and donuts*
    Just in case the new neighbors are the porch sitting types. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so. My neighbour across the back alley, who I don't really know, seems nice enough, but still.....I have no idea who they are. The do keep to themselves and have fenced their entire house in.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do to. And people who will look after the yard the same way. With the effort he's put in to make that house look good, I would really hate to see it turn to shambles.

      Delete
  3. You have a much closer knit neighborhood than mine. Mine is stretched out up the mt. and separated by woods between but still__Years ago I used to know just about everyone who lived up here. We didn't really socialize but we knew we could call on each other if we needed help. Now I might know two or three people. Nice blog, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents know pretty much every neighbour they have. They even have a new neighbour and they chat all the time. I like it.

      Our houses are right next to each other so we don't have to worry about being separated. Yet, everyone does their own thing and goes behind closed doors and no one sees each other or communicates.

      Delete
  4. I think I live in the same neighbourhood as you... only a couple provinces over and to the right..

    When I moved here I hoped a little bit for the same as you.. but I'm an honest to goodness hermit at heart, it would have been nice to be part of the chatting neighbourhood but lets face it - it takes effort to forge neighbourly bonds! I know the people to the immediate right and left.. and directly across the street.. but I'm not sure I'd recognize them outside the context of this street.

    It's a nice neighbourhood though.. quiet.. friendly but not interfering.

    AND.. it's funny cause the first month I lived here for sale signs flew up and down our street.. the entire original neighbourhood up and left. I hope it wasn't because of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are a couple provinces to the left. From where I'm sitting you are east.

      Once I was in Safeway and Mrs. Rider Fan was shopping....looked directly at me, I smiled and was close to saying hi and she turned and walked the other way. Huh. Mr. Rider Fan helped me once with my car. The male neighbours seem more friendly than the woman folk.

      My neighbourhood is nice. Everyone looks out for the other. We know who belongs and who doesn't. I don't have a neighbour I don't like.

      I do wonder if they are moving because there are so many immigrant people moving in to the neighbourhood. I would hope that's not the reason. The only reason I'd have to move from here is to move to a condo downtown.

      Delete
  5. People come and go. I find that I have to take responsibility for creating a relationship with my neighbors or it won't happen. Even in this condo community we tend to keep to ourselves. I was kinda irritated with a neighbor Linda who practically lives in her garage. But you know, she has a kind heart and is funny as all get out. When I let my guard down she started giving me compliments and we'd chat for long times. Folks are all different and I think many are definitely worth getting to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I find it very hard to step out of that comfort zone and try to be friendly with neighbours. I mean, beyond the hello or waving stage. I'm not sure people are that way so easily anymore. I try to be open but it's hard to me to change too. But if I don't I guess how can I expect others to?

      Delete
  6. If you are looking at a map of Canada, robin is to the east - the right. If you are sitting in Saskatchewan, staring out at the people looking at the map of Canada, she'd be left, lol.

    Today I chased the neighbour's kids out of my yard because they were trying to break the chicken fence. I really enjoyed this blog. Nice bit of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. There is no doubt that Robin is east of Saskatchewan. But yes, if I was looking down at a map....she'd be to the right.

      There used to be this weird woman who delivered flyers. It was before we had a/c and we'd have the windows and doors open. Of course, Brandy would freak out when ever she came by, but then we caught her talking to Brandy...which was fine...except Brandy didn't know what was happening and was on the defensive. We repeatedly told the flyer lady to stop talking to her but she wouldn't so we called and had the flyer delivery cancelled. Worked out for the best because now we don't get all that paper garbage.

      Delete
    2. Wow, isn't that twice in less than a month that people have terrorized your chickens?

      Delete