Thursday, January 31, 2013

In the Still of the Night

During the day there is noise from the tv, noise from Renter Person's tv, and Brandy's collar jingling along with outside sounds and all sorts of other things.  Around midnight a certain stillness comes over the house.

It's quiet.

Electronics are turned off.  People and pets are sleeping while some are snoring.  

Not me.

I sit in bed with a mug of hot chocolate, usually candy cane hot chocolate from the nearest Bulk Barn, and I read.  

Sometimes I just listen.

When it's really really cold like it was last night.....the wind chill was -45 degrees Celsius.....you can hear the crunch of the snow under the tires of an approaching vehicle so clearly you could swear they're coming right into the room.  The furnace pulses on and off.  The house gently creaks.  In the distance of the kitchen, the fridge hums.  It's a midnight symphony.

It's peaceful.

There are no worries after midnight.  The days stresses melt away like a marshmallow in the hot cocoa.  I sink into the story of the book I'm reading.  It isn't Claire and Jamie anymore, but Barnaby and Hooker.  It might be an adventure or romance or mystery and tomorrow it might be a different book entirely.

Brandy stirs on the bed and looks up to see if I'm still there.

I check the clock and yawn.  Time to sleep.  I set the book on the nightstand and turn off the light. 

I sink into the blankets and fall asleep to the still of the night.




18 comments:

  1. I like the wee hours of the morning.. just before the sun comes up.. that quiet is still there and you can gradually hear everything wake up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a good morning person at all. I like camping mornings. I like winter mornings before Christmas when everything is cold and still and the Christmas tree is lit. But generally....I'm rather grumpy in the morning.

      Delete
  2. :) I'm grumpy at night *checks watch* ... about now actually. *grumble grumble* .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. The calm before the teaching starts. 10 min until student one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wish my nights could be this way. I do love Christmas tree mornings, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this blog. It made me smile and yearn for that quiet myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your nights are like that too. Sometimes it's there. We just have to stop and listen.

      Delete
  6. mmmm, lovely and calm. I could almost imagine you whispering the blog to me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best.

      I just want to mention that Hubby does snore and I usually spend the night in the other room.....so it's quiet lol Otherwise there is lot's of zzzzz's going on.

      Delete
  7. This made me smile. I love the silent of the night.

    Though last night I kept hearing movement in the house and I swear I heard keys jingling .... It made me a bit worried, but since Zeus my would be protector had not disturbed from his place on the bed I figured no boogie man was in my apartment ... though I probably should've gotten up with the baseball bat to check - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that would freak me out!

      I do hear things and get up to check them out.

      Delete
    2. I usually do too, but I did not sleep very well last night and the thought of having to get up and deal with a phantom intruder required too much energy. I figured if there was an intruder in my one bedroom apartment they'd be at the bedroom in no time and then I could club them with bat without having to get out of my warm bed XD

      Lazy? ... perhaps.

      Delete
    3. But I also live in a secured building. You need a key or you need to be buzzed in. Everyone in my building except my neighbor across the hall (married couple) are all single females ...

      Delete
    4. I get you. There is nothing worse than being all snug in your bed...then hearing something and crawling out to investigate. You never get as comfortable again. It's great that you live in a good secure building too. Being in a house....I'm getting up to check it out. Hubby has bad hearing and sleeps like a rock. A heard of elephants wouldn't wake him up. So if there is an intruder...he's gotta deal with me and my baseball bat and rabid dog lol

      Delete
  8. Bet your boots if I hear a noise I look at Minx, if she sits up with ears forward I am out of bed like a shot to check everything out. A woman living alone is vulnerable and there are sick nasties out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our car stolen from in front of our house so I am sensitive to sounds outside.

      Sometimes when I'm dreaming I think I hear the doorbell. I hate those dreams.

      Delete
  9. Ok, loved the blog - agree with one of the other comments - could imagine you whispering it to me. I don't always find the still of the night quiet and peaceful - usually hubby will be snoring and if I've woken up I find it hard to get back to sleep as my brain will be ticking. Reading a book usually helps or I start praying - I work my way through the family list and usually manage to nod off before I get to the end. Another benefit of being part of a large family. And like you I'm grumpy in the morning. Especially if I haven't had a good night's sleep :)

    ReplyDelete