Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Life is Like a Jelly Donut


"The way I see it, life is like a jelly doughnut. You don't really know what it's about until you bite into it. And then, just when you decide it's good, you drop a big glob of jelly on your best T-shirt."
~Stephanie Plum~
 
Doesn't that just about sum it all up? It has for me this week anyhow. There you are going happily along and WHOOMF it's all messed up. Stephanie Plum has lots of these days. Stephanie Plum is a character in a series of Janet Evanovich novels. I am a big fan of mystery books and who-dun-it crime shows on TV, but this one takes the cake...er..um, doughnut.

I am addicted. It happened innocently enough. It was recommended to me that I read Visions of Sugar Plums. I did. I was hooked. Captivated.

Stephanie is a bounty hunter, although, as she admits, not a very good one. In her previous life she was a lingerie buyer for a department store. She's newly divorced and has a pet hamster, Rex, for a roommate. The new men in her life are Joe Morelli [a cop] and fellow bounty hunter Ranger. So there's this fascinating love triangle thing that goes on.

Stephanie has a problem with cars. In every single book her car is destroyed somehow. Blown up. Set on fire. Spray painted. Smashed and shot at. It is so much fun to see how it's going to happen in the next book. 

Stephanie Plum always manages to find herself in trouble. Or trouble finds her. Her apartment is always being broken into. She's always forgotten her gun at home in her cookie jar when she needs it. And just to top things off, her family is about the craziest one out there. 

I have been reading this series since January. Stephanie has become a friend. Confidant. There are thirteen books and I am on the tenth, Ten Big Ones. I've read the eleventh one, but just because it was only $6 at Costco! Don't hate me for reading them out of order! The realisation has set in that soon I will be at the end. What will I do without my nightly reading of Stephanie's capers? I will have Stephanie Plum withdrawl. I will have to join Stephanie Plum Anonymous. 

Don't worry, friends, I will persevere. No doubt, while I wait for the next novel to be crafted, I will find yet another author who I will become hopelessly obsessed with. In the meantime, send all your jelly donuts this way and keep writing all those fascinating Blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment