Friday, December 16, 2022

Kicking Up Their Heals


At some point during the Christmas season, my parents would attend my Dad's work Christmas party and I would get to go spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  I was young and it was a long long time ago now and I don't remember specifics but I know spending time with them was always special.

We'd sit at the dining room table and play card games.  Grandma and I would play Go Fish and Grandpa would play Solitaire.  We'd drink tea but Grandma would always call it "coffee/tea" and laughed about the time she poured tea into Grandpa's coffee making it real CoffeeTea.  Grandma would also say things like "heavens" when I'd tell a far fetched story and reply with "they're busy kicking up their heals" when I'd inquire as to what my parents might be doing.

I remember cousin Kim being there once and teaching me how to draw Snoopy and I remember Grandpa carefully teaching me how to make an origami bowtie.  It's something I can still remember how to make today.  However, one very special thing stands out first and foremost.  One time Grandpa got out the Consumers Distributing Christmas book and it very well could have been the Sears Wish Book or both.  I was writing my letter to Santa Claus.  Grandpa told me it was very very important to tell Santa all the page numbers, product numbers and prices of everything I wanted.  I wanted a lot.  This was the year the new Barbie-like doll Sindy came out.  She had an elaborate house with incredibly detailed furnishings.  There were tiny dishes and cutlery and just amazing things that tickled my fancy.  I carefully wrote it all down for Santa.

In those days, Christmas Eve was spent at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  We would exchange gifts with them and have snacks.  This particular time there were many gifts with my name on them.  When I got to open my presents they were all the items I had so carefully listed for Santa Claus making my wildest childhood wishes coming true.

It would take hours to set up that Sindy house and it took up lots of space but it was so special.  It would stay set up forever because it took so much work but as I grew up and was less and less interested it all got packed away.  I'm pretty sure its still in storage at my parents.  I don't know if there's anything like it for kids these days.  I don't know if today's kids would even want to play with such things, but I sure did, and for a while it was the best gift ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment