Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Day Cookies


Since I found out I can pretty much make any kind of cookie using a box of cake mix.....I've gone a bit crazy.  I have buyers remorse for the huge bag of flour in the pantry which was supposed to be used up by making sugar cookies.  Alas, there it sits abandoned amid an array of cake mixes galore.

These are Red Velvet Cream Cheese cookies.  Red Velvet is just a new type of thing in these parts.  Strange I know, because it seems to be plenty popular in every other part of the universe.  So far there is only one brand of cake mix that makes a red velvet version and that is Duncan Hines.

These are the Cherry Chip but give you the idea of the size.

Ingredients
1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1 tub Cream Cheese type frosting

In a bowl, combine cake mix, eggs and canola oil.  Mix well.  Using a melon baller.....yes, strange I know, but it makes the perfect size!....scoop out portions of mixture, roll into a ball shape and put onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350*F for 8 minutes.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to plate to cool the rest of the way.

Once completely cooled, sandwich together using cream cheese frosting.


OHMYGAWD, THEY ARE DELISH!

*Variation*
Cherry Chip cake mix and add 1 cup chocolate chips.  Do not sandwich together.  They taste like chocolate covered cherries!

I've heard Cherry Chip isn't available everywhere :(

6 comments:

  1. You must know, somehow, that I am craving pastries or cakes or cookies something fierce. Seriously. I had a pizza/pop/chips party tonight for my good attenders/non-swearers.... there's OODLES of food and junk around and I am wanting your cookies! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby, who does not like sweets, just ate two cookies lol I am amazed how good they turned out. Totally chewy cookies. I've been craving plenty of salty stuff too...Dorito's like crazy. But if I don't have them in the house I'm good.

      Can you get this cake mix there? You could make them!

      Delete
    2. I have cake mixes I bought before xmas thinking I'd try these cookies, and I've not managed it once. Maybe this is what I'll bring to the Valentine's Day party. I don't know if we have that sort of cake mix or not... or if I can buy a melon baller in town.

      What size sphere does it make? Loonie sized? Quarter sized?

      Delete
    3. You don't need a melon baller...you can use a teaspoon. The balls are about walnut sized. They are easier to make than regular cookies.

      I googled green velvet cookies today for fun. I found someone who used a french vanilla cake mix and added green food colouring. Good for football season :D

      Delete
  2. Haha, up until just now, I thought I was the only person in the world to use a melon baller to make cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two ice cream type of scoops for cookies, but they make the cookies too big. This works perfectly! Why didn't you share your wisdom before?

      Delete