Friday, February 1, 2013

My Go To Meatloaf Recipe

I got this recipe off the back of a box of Uncle Ben's stuffing mix about 15 years ago.  I never looked at another meatloaf recipe again.

Ingredients
1 container ground beef approx 1lb (it's okay if it's more but not less)
1 box stuffing mix - the brand doesn't matter but I've found the varieties with separate spice packets are more flavourful.
Milk to soften the stuffing mix
1 egg
2 tsp (approx) Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup ketchup (anything tomato-y works...I've used salsa and BBQ sauce too)
Enough mustard to turn the ketchup orange.  Type of mustard doesn't matter...I've used regular, Dijon etc.
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar

In a bowl combine the stuffing mix with enough milk to soften them.  Add the egg and Worcestershire Sauce.  Mix.  Either by hand or with a potato masher [sounds crazy I know, but it works] mix in the ground beef.

Press the mixture into a glass pie plate.

In a separate bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.  Hubby likes it when I leave brown sugar lumps because it makes the sauce caramel-y.  Spread over the meatloaf.

Cook in a 350*F oven for 35 - 40 minutes. 

I'd post a picture, but there's never enough of it left to snap a picture of!!



9 comments:

  1. I bet that's yummy. Anything that includes stuffing has gotta be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it with ground turkey but it's not as good. But you are right about the stuffing!

      Delete
  2. Does sound good. I'll try it as an Quaker Oats alternative and see what the folks think. They like the salsa one and there is a marmalade variation I use too, which is good.

    MT C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made one with Quaker Oats. I've had with cracker crumbs though.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, meatloaf is a good winter food. And yeah, caramelly-bits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good and I am going to give it a go. Umm 1/2 what for the sugar please babe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops! I even proofread and didn't catch that. 1/2 cup of brown sugar but if that's too much do 1/4. It works too. I've made it so many times I have no idea what the actual measurements are supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I did post a link. Thanks so much for letting me know about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now getting a great collection of meatloaves together. I hope you have stopped by some of the other links to check them out!

    Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    Ps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

    ReplyDelete