Thursday, January 19, 2023

Bonne Maman : Advent Calendar Review


We be Jammin'.  That's the lettering I had on my music classroom wall a few years ago but it's also a fitting phrase for this blog post about Bonne Maman jam or preserve and this review of the Advent Calendar I purchased this Christmas season.

This first came onto my radar in 2021 when I viewed Tea With Jann on YouTube.  She had videos of all her calendar openings and Bonne Maman was one of them.  It looked so nice and different and I knew I had to try it out as well.  I do love jam.

I purchased this Advent Calendar from Papa Jack Popcorn which is a Canadian candy company and distributer from Ontario.  The calendar itself was $48.99 and the cheapest shipping was an additional $24.26 so the total was $73.15.  The communication with Papa Jack was terrific and it arrived well protected which I was a tad bit worried about since its all glass jars.  Now, had I known that I would start seeing this calendar at different retailers I could have saved the shipping cost.  I didn't find them locally until December though so if you are impatient like me then ordering from Papa Jack Popcorn comes well recommended.

This Bonne Maman Advent Calendar was 24 days and included 23 preserves and 1 honey.  That breaks down to $2.04 a jar.  The jars are approximately 6 tablespoons of jam which was plenty for Hubby and myself to spread enough on our English muffins which is how we preferred to sample each flavour.  This was our breakfast for all of December.

The great part of this calendar was that I was exposed to many different flavours which I would have never picked out in the grocery store.  I tend to buy strawberry or orange marmalade but I got to enjoy a wide range of flavours and even found some new fruits! My favourite flavours included fig and cherry and even though I'm not a big fan of honey I thought their honey was terrific spread over peanut butter.  So if you desire to try some flavours which you wouldn't ordinarily then next holiday season you should give this countdown a try.

What I didn't like about this calendar is actually a very small detail.  The jars are incredibly hard to pry out of their windows.  I appreciate that the jars have to be secure for shipping but I would have to struggle to get the jars out of their holding spots.  The cardboard calendar itself was sturdy and was easy to recycle.  I've kept the jars but so far am at a loss as to what to do with them.  They would be handy for storing small amounts of crafting items like tacks or buttons and likely even for small amounts of loose leaf tea.  I'd like to know what other people have done with their mini jars or if they got thrown away.

The only store near me which I know has a wide variety of Bonne Maman jam is Walmart.  There are a few flavours which I am sure I am going to check out.  If you love their strawberry then it's always available at Costco for a very reasonable price and it's the one I always gravitate to first.

If you are curious about specific flavours then click on the Advent Photo tab on this blog.  You will find every photo I took of each calendar and item while more detail is found on my Instagram account.

Did you purchase this Advent Calendar?  Are you likely to repurchase, purchase or look for this one come the holidays?  Let me know!  While it was highly enjoyable, I feel like I've now experienced it so there's not a big reason to buy it again but as previously stated, I will continue to buy their brand.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed catching up on your blogs when I got back from UK. I've enjoyed your Advent Calendars ...might need a reminder to consider purchasing later this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. That’s sweet of you to come catch up! I start thinking about Advent calendars much before we need them. Often I start hearing about them in September. Then I add reminders on where to look out for them.

      Delete